Monthly Archives: March 2011

Excel is working!

On Sunday Excel was added per the label at 1 capful (5ml) per 10g. I put in 7 capfuls since my net water column is a bit over 65g. No observable difference noted on Monday. I added 3 capfuls on … Continue reading

Posted in Plants, Water | Comments Off on Excel is working!

Algae War

Today began the attack on the algae. Here’s some of the pix of the algae: First came a 50% water change and while the water level was down I removed all rhizome plants including java fern, anubias and the remaining … Continue reading

Posted in Plants, Water | 1 Comment

Algae r Us

The algae have discovered my tank and the otos and amanos are feasting! Suspect causes are too much light (probably around 80-90umol) from the T5HO plus some afternoon direct sun, a¬†huge increase in bioload and inattention to fertz. The new … Continue reading

Posted in Equipment, Plants, Water | 4 Comments

Safe fill with air break!

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this in the first place! Rather than running a pressurized line directly from the house plumbing into the tank and risk backflow contamination, I can just fill a container in the basement … Continue reading

Posted in Equipment, Plumbing | 1 Comment

Final plumbing…for now

Here are the details of the “final” plumbing; more on “final” at the bottom. First a full shot of the undertank arrangement. Flow comes from the right hand side travels through parallel paths to filter and auxillary flow pump then … Continue reading

Posted in Equipment, Plumbing | Comments Off on Final plumbing…for now